Facebook Pixel

Airport Tax Refund: Guide on How to Get a Philippines Travel Tax Refund

By Kach Umandap May 31st, 2020 Posted in Guide for Filipinos, Philippines Travel Blog, Travel Blog No comments

Was your trip canceled but you already paid a Philippine travel tax? Are you exempt from travel tax? Well, don’t worry, you could get a refund for the tax you have paid even if your ticket is not refundable. Here’s how to get a Philippine Travel Tax Refund on your flight tickets.

NAIA Airport PhilippinesAs per PD 1183, the travel tax is paid by people leaving the country. To those who are in a hurry or doesn’t want the hassle during on the day of your flight, you can buy pay your travel tax in advance through your ticket or online through the TIEZA site. Read our guide to get your money back, especially on a canceled trip.

Travel Tax

How much would you pay for a travel tax in the Philippines?

Travel Tax in the Philippines & Terminal Fees

Here’s an article that discusses more travel tax and terminal fees.

Persons who can get a Travel Tax Refund

If you have paid for travel tax or are exempt or got downgraded, you can get a refund. Refunds can be claimed within two years from your payment date. Included are the requirements for getting a refund.

Those with unused tickets

  • Passport
  • Airline Ticket with travel tax payment or Official Receipt of Travel Tax (Passenger and Airline copy)
  • Fare Refund Voucher or Certification from Airline (stating that ticket is not used, non-rebookable or has no refund value)


The First Class and Economy class have different costs; if you are downgraded, you can get a refund of the difference.

  • Passport
  • Airline Ticket with travel tax payment or Official Receipt of Travel Tax (Passenger copy)
  • Certification from the airline that your ticket was downgraded or the flight manifest

Non-immigrant foreign nationals staying in less than a year

If you are a foreigner that has stayed in the Philippines for less than a year (e.g., a tourist), then you can skip paying the travel tax. However, if you have an international flight, you may get automatically charged. Get a travel tax refund!

  • Passport or a certification from the Bureau of Immigration indicating the passenger’s identity, status, and date of arrival
  • Airline Ticket with travel tax payment or Official Receipt of Travel Tax (Passenger Copy)

Qualified for Travel Tax Exemption

Check here if you are exempted for travel tax (OFWs, Diplomats, etc.)

  • Passport
  • Airline Ticket with travel tax payment or Official Receipt of Travel Tax (Passenger Copy)
  • Supporting Documents

Qualified for Reduced Travel Tax

Check here if you are qualified for reduced travel tax (Minors, Spouse or Children of OFWs, etc.)

  • Passport
  • Airline Ticket with travel tax payment or Official Receipt of Travel Tax (Passenger Copy)
  • Supporting Documents

Double Payment

If you have paid travel tax twice for the same ticket, then you can get a travel tax refund.

  • Passport
  • Airline Ticket with travel tax payment or Official Receipt of Travel Tax (Passenger Copy)

Undue Travel Tax

  • Passport
  • Airline Ticket with travel tax payment or Official Receipt of Travel Tax (Passenger Copy)

Step by Step Guide in Getting a Travel Tax Refund

STEP 1: Gather all your documents before going to Travel Tax Center. If you are not the payee, you’ll need a Special Power of Attorney. If you are a parent of a minor payee, bring your child’s birth certificate.

STEP 2: Fill-up a TIEZA Refund Application Form. You can print this form ahead, too.

Guide on How to Get a Philippine Travel Tax Refund

STEP 3: Present the documents to the TIEZA Centers.

STEP 4: Wait when your check is available. It’s usually within three working days buy you can avail the one Same-day refund. See below who can avail.

STEP 5: Get your check refund.

Travel Tax Centers and Schedules

Travel Tax in the Philippines & Terminal Fees

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I get a refund?

You can get it within 2 years from the payment date.

What if I’m out if the country?

You can do it when you return to the Philippines within 2 years from the date of payment or execute a Special Power of Attorney for a representative to process for you.

What if the payee is a minor?

The parents shall present the minor’s original birth certificate unless the parent has signed the passport on the minor’s behalf. If the claimant is not the parent, you’ll need to present a Special Power of Attorney executed by the parent and the original birth certificate of the minor, as well.

Can I get a refund from my airline?

Yes, if the travel tax has not yet been remitted.

Whose name is in the check?

The travel tax refund check is for deposit to the payee’s account. However, you can ask an uncrossed check, too.

I don’t have my passport, what else can I use to claim the refund?

  • Original Postal ID
  • Driver’s License
  • PRC ID

Who can get a same-day refund?

Submit your SDR form and the documents if you the reason for the refund is:

  • Offloaded Passengers or Cancelled Flights
  • Entitled to exemption or reduced tax
  • Tax paid twice
  • Undue Tax

Where can I get a same-day refund?

Mostly at the airport counters.

Different Ways to Travel from Mactan Airport to Cebu City and other Cities
Photo by Matt Kieffer CC BY-SA 2.0


I hope this guide will help you in getting a Philippine Travel Tax Refund. Though our flight is canceled, at least we get our money back, right? Also, this is very useful, especially if you are an OFW or a tourist since you won’t have to pay. Good luck!

Line seperator

Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER:Many of the articles on Two Monkeys Travel Group are guest posts by a number of Approved Contributors and are hosted by Two Monkeys Travel Group. Approved Contributors control their own work and post freely to our site. This includes all text and images that they use within their own work. All contributors are instructed to follow internationally recognised copyright and intellectual property guidelines. Two Monkeys Travel Group takes its own responsibilities very seriously, so if you feel that any part of this work is abusive in any way, please send us an email so that we can investigate - [email protected]

DISCLOSURE: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links. So when you make a purchase we sometimes make a small commission, at no extra cost to you. The cost to you remains the same, sometimes even cheaper if we have negotiated a special deal for our readers.We use all of the companies we have listed here and that’s why they are in this list, but of course we need to keep Two Monkeys Travel Group running as well as it can, which is exactly what you’re helping with if you do decide to buy or book something through an affiliate link! If you have any more questions about the companies we use or any other companies you’re looking at, just email us and we’ll be happy to help.Please see our full disclaimer page for more information.

Written by Kach Umandap

Founder of Two Monkeys Travel Group. Since 2013, Kach has visited all the 7 continents (including Antarctica) and 151 countries using her Philippines Passport. In 2016, she bought a sailboat and went on sailing adventures with her two cats - Captain Ahab & Little Zissou in the Caribbean for 2 years. She now lives in Herceg Novi, Montenegro where she's enjoying her expat life and living on a gorgeous Stonehouse. She writes about her experiences traveling as a Filipina traveler with a PHL Passport. Also tips on backpacking trips, luxury hotel experiences, product reviews, sailing & adventure travel.