In this article, you will know how to travel by land from Cambodia to Vietnam. For those backpackers who want to go to South East Asia, Cambodia to Vietnam route (or vice-versa) is very popular. Traveling by bus or land is also a cheap alternative compared to using the plane.
Our guide will be from Phnom Pehn to Ho Chi Minh City or the border towns. As most travelers stop for a day in the capital from Siem Reap. Hanoi, Vietnam’s Capital, is also not included as it will take a day to cross, and it’s better to use Laos to Vietnam Route. However, the closest famous city is Ho Chi Minh (Saigon), so you won’t regret this way.
- Is Vietnam Visa Free For Filipinos? Requirements and Guide to Tourist Visa Extension in Vietnam
- How to Teach English In Vietnam – Guide to Teaching in Southeast Asia
- 7 Things to Do in Hanoi, Vietnam
- Is Cambodia Visa Free for Filipinos? [Visa Free, VOA, eVisa and Visa Extension Tips]
- How to Teach English in Cambodia – Experience the Fun of Teaching!
Phnom Pehn to Ho Chi Minh City by Direct Bus
Many bus companies are catering to travel from Phnom Pehn to Ho Chi Minh City. Check out your options:
- Giant Ibis offers luxury buses from Phnom Pehn to Ho Chi Minh City
- You’ll need to go to the Gian Ibis Bus Terminal near Wat Phnom
- Travel time is 6 –8 hours depending on traffic
- It costs USD 10
- They have sleeper buses for your trip from Cambodia to Vietnam
- Departure point is the Virak Buntham Office
- Travel Time is about 10 hours
- Costs are about USD 16
- They have busses (sitting) Phnom Pehn to Ho Chi Minh City
- Travel time is estimated 7 hours
- Prices from VND 391,000
- Departure point is at 275 F, Pham Ngu Lao St.
- There are VIP Vans and Buses
- Prices from VND 370,000
- Boarding point at No. 313, Sihanouk Blvd.
- Travel time is estimated 7 hours
- Prices from USD 10
More bus companies offer you trips from Cambodia to Vietnam. These are only the popular ones.
Phnom Pehn to Ho Chi Minh City with Border Stops
If you want to stop and spend time near the borders, you can still do so. However, there are many direct buses from Vietnam or Cambodia, and they are more convenient to use.
Bus to Bavet, Cambodia
Bavet is the most famous border from Cambodia to Vietnam. The main attraction of the area is the casinos.
- Travel time from Phnom Pehn to Bavet Border is about 3 to 4 hours
- Costs start at USD 5
- You can ride from a bus terminal, especially those that are going directly to HCM
Crossing the Border
- Pass through the Cambodian Immigration Office with your luggage
- Walk to the Vietnamese border
- Show your passport and visa, if applicable to the Vietnamese Immigration Officer
- Get your luggage checked
From Moc Bai, Vietnam
- Ride a bus from to Ho Chi Minh
- Travel time is 2 to 3 hours
- Fares are starts from VND 700
Travel Tips for your Land travel from Cambodia to Vietnam
- Buy snacks on your journey to avoid getting hungry
- Prepare money in USD and both in Cambodia and Vietnam currency just in case
- Check your items as the customs in Vietnam are pretty strict
- Read if you ever need a visa to Vietnam or not, you can also apply for an eVisa ahead
Now you know how to travel by land from Cambodia to Vietnam. If you are not into land transportation, you could also try via boat or plane. Both these countries are very affordable, so your payment is worth it. I highly suggest getting on a bus early morning, so that you could relax and enjoy Ho Chi Minh in the afternoon. Happy and Safe Travels!
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!
About the Writer
Hey, I’m Lyza! I once was a person who just imagined going to places “one day” but decided to pursue my dreams. My first travel abroad was in Japan, solo, last 2018, and fell in love with the journey since. I’m aiming to visit 10 countries before turning 30 and 2 new places in the Philippines every year. Besides traveling, I love organizing trips, photography, reading, and making new friends. Follow my adventures through my Instagram.