Facebook Pixel

How to Obtain a Marriage License in the Philippines [With List of Required Documents]

By Two Monkeys Travel - Contributor December 1st, 2020 Posted in Guide for Filipinos, Philippines Travel Blog, Travel Blog One Comment

One of the essential requirements for getting married in the Philippines is a Marriage License. A marriage authorizes the couple to marry; without it, you can’t proceed, or your wedding will be void. Here’s a quick guide on how to get a marriage license in the Philippines.

How to Get a Marriage License in the Philippines
Photo by Photos by Lanty on Unsplash

It’s not easy to get married in the Philippines, especially if you compare it with Las Vegas or Hong Kong. You’ll need to have to process documents, attend a seminar, etc. It takes time and a bit of money. But these small sacrifices can be made if you want to seal yours forever with the love of your life.

Requirements Needed to Get a Marriage License in the Philippines

These are the usual requirements needed; they may differ in each city or municipality, so it’s better to double-check.

1.  Valid IDs during Personal Appearance

Present a Valid ID (original and Photocopy) when you both go to the Local Registrar to apply for a marriage license.

2. PSA Birth Certificate

An original Birth Certificate should be passed by both parties. Filipinos can get a copy of theirs through PSA – the Serbilis Center, SM Business Center, or Online (Read here). It usually costs PHP 155 per copy but much more expensive online as it’s delivered. You can get this together with the CENOMAR. You can also get the documents of your partner, prepare an Authorization letter.

3. Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR)

A CENOMAR attest that the bearer is single (not yet married or annulled) or unmarried (widowed or divorced. You can get it the same way as a Birth Certificate as the PSA also issues it. It costs PHP 210 per copy but will be more expensive online. Check our guide on getting a CENOMAR.

4. Community Tax Certificate (Cedula)

You can get your CEDULA in the city or barangay you reside in. For little towns, it’s usually at the municipal hall, but in big cities, the Barangay can issue a CTC for their resident. It will depend on your income, though. It’s usually PHP 5.00 + 1 Peso for every 1K gross income.

5. Certificate of Attendance in Pre-Marriage Counseling

You both need to attend a Pre-Marriage Counseling Seminar. Many have asked me if they can skip this one if they have been together for years, but the law requires you to attend this (skipping this may be grounds for annulment). This is usually done by the DWSD and/or the Church.

Topics include family planning, responsible parenthood, and marriage counseling. Check the schedules; they usually have seminars once a week or a month. Do this with your partner. Don’t bypass!

6. Recently taken Picture

A 1X1 or 2X2 picture is asked of the couple (not together though.) Sizes depend on the requirement of the municipality or city.

7. Marriage License Application Form

You can ask this at the Local Civil Registrar’s Office. The couple will fill it up as one side is for the Groom, and the other the Bride

8. For those below 25 years old – Parental Consent or Parental Advice

If you are 18-21, you will need a Parental Consent as per the Family Code of the Philippines.

  • Both your parents (Mother and Father of the one who is 18-21) should go with you in applying for a Marriage license
  • If one or both of them is absent, you need to have a Notarized Affidavit of Parental Consent from the one absent or both of them, or legal guardian if both parents have passed away (You can ask a format of this from the Local Civil Registry.)
  • This is terrible news for those who are eloping and trying to marry in between this age. You can’t let a guardian who’s on your side sign for you if your parents are against your marriage. You’ll either have to convince them or wait a bit.

If you are 22-25, you will need Parental Advice. 

  • Both your parents (Mother and Father of the one who is 22-25) should go with you in applying for a Marriage license.
  • If they can’t go, you will need written parental advice that they know you are going to get married. (You can ask a format of this from the Local Civil Registry)
  • If they can’t go, and they don’t want you to get married, you need to have a sworn statement that you told your parents, but they were against it

You should know that if you don’t have a Parental Advice or your parents are against it, instead of 10 days of getting your license, it will be three months

9. For those previously married

The following is needed if applicable:

  • Death Certificate of the deceased spouse
  • Judicial Decree of Absolute divorce
  • Judicial Decree of Annulment or Declaration of Nullity of Previous marriage

10. For Foreigners

A Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage by their diplomatic or consular office should be presented. Here’s a more detailed guide on How Foreign Nationals Can Get Married in the Philippines.

How to get a PSA Marriage Certificate
Photo by Jeremy Wong Weddings on Unsplash

STEP by STEP Guide on Getting a Marriage License in the Philippines

STEP 1: Proceed to the Local Civil Registry, where one of you resides, and get an application form as well as the list of requirements. Select also a schedule when you can attend a seminar.

Sometimes it will be your hometown; sometimes, the place you have lived due to work, etc. If you are planning to get married in another town, don’t worry as the Marriage License is valid all over the country.

STEP 2: Gather the documents needed and submit them. You will also have to pay a fee.

STEP 3:  Attend a seminar and submit it to the LCR. Get a slip-on when you can claim your marriage license.

STEP 4: Wait for 10 days (or 3 Months if you have no Parental Advice) and pray no one is against your marriage. It’s the standard waiting period as your marriage will be posted publicly.

STEP 5: Claim your marriage license and get married within 120 days!  

How Foreign Nationals Can Get Married in the Philippines – Filipino and Foreigner Wedding Guide
Yomex Owo

There you go, that’s how to get a Marriage License in the Philippines. Check out our other Wedding related articles like Civil Wedding Requirements or Church Wedding Requirements. I love weddings, though I have never been married before; however,  I got to experience being maid of honor twice, being a bridesmaid thrice, and getting the bouquet once. It’s going to be a fantastic experience. Good luck and have a happy Marriage!

Line seperator

About the Writer

Lyza Paloma

Hey, I’m Lyza! I once was a person who just imagined going to places “one day” but decided to pursue my dreams. My first travel abroad was in Japan, solo, last 2018, and fell in love with the journey since. I’m aiming to visit 10 countries before turning 30 and 2 new places in the Philippines every year. Besides traveling, I love organizing trips, photography, reading, and making new friends. Follow my adventures through my Instagram.


Line seperator

Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

One thought on “How to Obtain a Marriage License in the Philippines [With List of Required Documents]

COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER:Many of the articles on Two Monkeys Travel Group are guest posts by a number of Approved Contributors and are hosted by Two Monkeys Travel Group. Approved Contributors control their own work and post freely to our site. This includes all text and images that they use within their own work. All contributors are instructed to follow internationally recognised copyright and intellectual property guidelines. Two Monkeys Travel Group takes its own responsibilities very seriously, so if you feel that any part of this work is abusive in any way, please send us an email so that we can investigate - [email protected]

DISCLOSURE: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links. So when you make a purchase we sometimes make a small commission, at no extra cost to you. The cost to you remains the same, sometimes even cheaper if we have negotiated a special deal for our readers.We use all of the companies we have listed here and that’s why they are in this list, but of course we need to keep Two Monkeys Travel Group running as well as it can, which is exactly what you’re helping with if you do decide to buy or book something through an affiliate link! If you have any more questions about the companies we use or any other companies you’re looking at, just email us and we’ll be happy to help.Please see our full disclaimer page for more information.

Written by Two Monkeys Travel - Contributor

Two Monkeys Travel Group – Community Travel Blog is a travel blog and website. We quickly grew into a valuable source of inspiring travel stories, advice, itineraries and travel guides, with the aim of demonstrating how to live a sustainable life of travel, whilst living your own definition of success. If you'd like to contribute and write a guest post, contact us at [email protected]