You’ve snorkeled in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, you went on a sailing trip around the Whitsunday Islands and you took pictures of the legendary Ayers Rock in the Australian Outback. You did island hopping in Thailand and enjoyed the view from one of the massive skyscrapers in bustling Bangkok. In Berlin you had a few beers while attending a pubcrawl night and finished your backpacking trip with an Angkor Wat temple tour in Cambodia.
You’re coming home, you say hello to friends and family and after a few weeks you want to pack your bag again.
You hop on a plane, you’re back in business! But where are you going?
One of the best travel destinations for long term backpacking is South America. Sounds good to me: soccer, beautiful women, a not so difficult language and popular cities like Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires and Bogota. But let me tell you something: South America has more to offer than big cities and the things I just mentioned. A journey from North to South, South to North or simply cross country and back and forth is probably the most varied backpacking trip of your life! You need an example?
Today, you gaze legendary Machu Picchu after a tiring hike through the lush cloud forests in Peru. Tomorrow you are sliding down sand dunes on a snowboard and the day after you enjoy the gentle ocean breeze of the Pacific laying in a hammock at the beach. That’s only been three days! What do you expect from this amazing continent if you decide to go on a backpacking trip around South America? Take a look at the pictures and make your dreams come true! Related Article: Here is the list of different cheap backpackers hostels in South America.
1. Aguas Calientes (Peru) – Gateway to the world wonder of Machu Picchu
2. Arequipa (Peru) – Just another UNESCO World Heritage Site
Check out some of the cool and cheap tours you could do in Arequipa.
3. Banos (Ecuador) – Capital for the adrenaline junkie.
4. Cabanaconde (Peru) – The Do It Yourself gateway to Colca Canyon
5. Cartagena (Colombia) – Colonial city with a Caribbean touch.
6. Copacabana (Bolivia) – Sailing the Titicaca Lake.
7. Cuenca (Ecuador)- Laid back colonial city.
8. Huacachina (Peru) – Oasis of joy!
9. Huaraz (Peru) – A hikers dream!
Check out some of the cool and cheap tours you could do in Huaraz.
10. Iquitos (Peru) – The biggest rural city in one of the most remote areas in the world!
11. Mancora (Peru) – Backpacker invaded beach town for the party animal.
12. Minca (Colombia) – In the heart of the Sierra Nevada.
13. Ollantaytambo (Peru) – This is not just a train station!
14. Palomino (Colombia) – Caribbean beach town at its best!
15. Paracas (Peru) – Cliffs, sea lions and fishermen.
16. Potosi (Bolivia) – A life for the mountain.
17. Puno (Peru) – Floating islands and straw boats.
18. Santa Cruz (Bolivia) – Where the time stands still.
Check out some of the cool and cheap tours you could do in Santa Cruz.
19. Santa Marta (Colombia) – This is not a postcard!
20. Sucre (Bolivia) – Whiter than sugar!
Check out some of the cool and cheap tours you could do in Sucre.
21. Taganga (Colombia) – Divers, sharks and hammocks.
So what are you waiting for? South America is not just another beautiful continent with loads of crazy activities; a handful of the worlds best hikes, warm-hearted and welcoming people, a great language, tasty food and on top of that it’s amazingly cheap which makes it perfect for the budget backpacker!
About the author:
I am Robin, a 28-year-old German traveling the world since 2 years. After I have finished my studies in early childhood education I have decided to break out for a little while heading off to Australia as my first country I visited long term. After that I went to South East Asia getting more and more into the lifestyle of backpacking, aiming for better photos, proper stories to share on my blog www.rbnsworld.de ending up spending the summer with friends back home to continue traveling the west side of the globe for 5 months.