One of the benefits of being a member of the Social Security System is having an Unemployment Benefit. This is also called the “unemployment insurance” or “involuntary separation benefit.” In case you were laid off because of the pandemic due to closure of business or retrenchment, you can receive money from the SSS. Here’s a guide on How to Apply for SSS Unemployment Benefit.
This benefit is not only for regular workers but also available for Kasambahays or Overseas Filipino Worker (sea or land-based.) Receive your benefit that is half of your average monthly salary credit for up to two months. Check out if you are eligible and if so, how to apply. P.S. If you resigned, you are not eligible, sadly.
- Filipino Retirement Pension – How to Register and Contribute in SSS plus its Benefits
- Valid ID in the Philippines – Guide on How to get a UMID Card
- Guide on How to Register and Contribute as a PhilHealth Member
- Valid Philippines ID Guide – How to Apply for a Philippine Postal ID
- How to get a BIR TIN and TIN ID in the Philippines
Table of Contents
Who are Eligible to Apply for an SSS Unemployment Benefit
- Below 60 years old at the time of involuntary separation (50 for mine workers and 55 for racehorse jockeys)
- Paid a minimum of 36 monthly contributions, 12 months should be within 18 months before separation (e.g., If you were retrenched on July 2020, you must have paid at least 12 contributions from January 2018 – June 2020.)
- Have not claimed an Unemployment Benefit for the last 3 years
- You must be separated because (but not limited to) the following reasons
- Redundancy of work
- Health condition
- Closure of the company
- Inhumane treatment of the employer
- However, you can’t claim if you were separated due to the following
- Commission of an offense or crime
- Fraud or breach of trust
- Gross and habitual neglect of duties
- Serious misconduct
- Willful disobedience
- Cases like inefficiency, conflict of interest, etc.
Computation of the Benefit
Twice (Two Months) the Half Average of Monthly Salary Credit – probably the average of 60 monthly salary credits or all of your monthly salary credits.
For Example, you have a monthly salary credit of 20,000 without increase or decrease. The half PHP 20K is 10K; then you double it – you will receive PHP 20,000.
Requirements you might need for application
- Valid ID (Original and Photocopy)
- Certification that proves you have been involuntarily separated from your job. Get this from DOLE or POLO.
- Notice or Affidavit of Termination from the Employer (Submit this to DOLE/POLO and SSS)
Where to File for a DOLE Certification
- Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Field or Provincial Office where your company or employer is based
- Philippine Overseas Labor Offices (POLO) where the employer is operating or at the DOLE Office where the OFW resides
How to Apply for an SSS Unemployment Benefit at the SSS Office
STEP 1: Gather the requirements needed for the application.
STEP 2: Go to the nearest SSS branch and file for a claim for unemployment benefit and submit your documents. You must do within a year from your separation. (e.g., if you were separated on July 1, 2020, you can still file until June 30, 2021.)
STEP 3: Wait for your application to be approved.
STEP 4: Receive the benefit. You can claim through the following (depending on what you choose in your application):
How to Apply for an SSS Unemployment Benefit Online
STEP 1: Gather the requirements needed for the application. Scan this ahead.
STEP 2: Make sure you have an online account. Log-in here.
STEP 3: Go to E-Services and choose Apply for Unemployment Benefit.
STEP 4: You may be asked to enroll your Bank Account or Update your Contact Information. If you have no bank account, you can choose DBP Cash Padala through MLhuillier or Paymaya – you’ll need to use your mobile number.
STEP 5: Go back to E-Services and Apply for Unemployment Benefit. Enter the details asked, review, and click Proceed. You will need to agree with the information before you click “Submit.”
STEP 6: You will be sent an e-mail from the SSS. Reply by attaching the documents like the Certification and the Notice of Termination.
STEP 7: Wait for your application to be approved via e-mail
STEP 8: Receive the benefit. You can claim it through the bank account you have enrolled in and chosen.
I hope this guide on how to apply for SSS Unemployment Benefit is very helpful to you, especially since there’s a pandemic. In case you want to learn more, then feel free to ask questions at the SSS through 7917-777 or message them at their F.B. page. Hope you could avail of it!
About the Writer
Hey, I’m Lyza! I once was a person who just imagined going to places “one day” but decided to pursue my dreams. My first travel abroad was in Japan, solo, last 2018, and fell in love with the journey since. I’m aiming to visit 10 countries before turning 30 and 2 new places in the Philippines every year. Besides traveling, I love organizing trips, photography, reading, and making new friends. Follow my adventures through my Instagram.
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!