Facebook Pixel

Filipino Retirement Pension – How to Register and Contribute in SSS plus its Benefits

By Two Monkeys Travel - Contributor June 1st, 2020 Posted in Asia Travel Blog, Destination, Guide for Filipinos, Philippines Travel Blog, Travel Blog 4 Comments

If you have PhilHealth in case you are sick or hospitalized, PAG-IBIG, not for love but for your house, you also have SSS when you get pregnant or old then SSS or Social Security System is an insurance system of our country, the Philippines.

You will have death or funeral benefits, allowance if you are on maternity leave, sickness or involuntary unemployment benefits, permanent disability benefits and pension for retirement. 


If you are in need of money, you can also get a salary or calamity loan thru SSS. So being a member and contributing payment is an advantage. Since di nakaya magtrabaho kung matanda na tayo, at least may pera tayong pang-gastos for medicines or food. 

Being a member of SSS is easy, just follow these steps:

Required Documents for SSS Application

Prepare the following documents: an original/certified true copy and a photocopy of a primary document or 2 secondary documents (one must have your picture and your birthdate). As per SSS Website:

Primary Documents 

Bring only one of these

  • Birth Certificate
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Passport
  • Driver’s License
  • Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Card
  • Seaman’s Book

Secondary Documents

Bring two of these if you don’t have Primary Documents

  • Alien Certificate of Registration
  • ATM card with the cardholder’s name
  • ATM card and certification from the issuing bank that the account number belongs to the cardholder, if the card does not bear the cardholder’s name
  • Bank Account Passbook
  • Birth/Baptismal Certificate of children
  • Certificate from:
    • Office of the Southern/Northern Cultural Communities
    • Office of Muslim Affairs
  • Certificate of Licensure/Qualification Document/Seafarer’s ID & Record Book from the Maritime Industry Authority
  • Certificate of Naturalization issued by the Bureau of Immigration
  • Company ID
  • Company Representative Authorization Card issued by SSS
  • Credit Card
  • Fisherman’s Card issued by the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR)
  • GSIS Card/Certificate of Membership
  • Health or Medical Card
  • ID card issued by Local Government Units (e.g. Barangay/Municipality/City)
  • ID card issued by professional organizations recognized by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC)
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Marriage contract
  • Membership card issued by private companies
  • NBI Clearance
  • Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) card
  • Pag-Ibig Member’s Data Form
  • Permit to carry firearms issued by the Firearms & Explosives Unit of the Philippine National Police (PNP)
  • PHIC Member’s Data Record
  • Police Clearance
  • Postal ID card
  • School ID
  • Seafarer’s Registration Certificate issued by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA)
  • Senior Citizen Card
  • Tax Identification Number (TIN) Card
  • Temporary license and Student Permit issued by the Land Transportation Office (LTO)
  • Transcript of School Records
  • Voter’s Identification Card/Affidavit

Additional Supporting Documents

  • Married Women
    • Marriage Contract/Marriage Certificate or a copy of Member Data Change Request form (SS Form E-4) of the spouse duly received by the SSS where the name of the registrant is reported as the spouse
  • Widowed
    • Marriage Contract/Marriage Certificate
    • Marriage Contract/Marriage Certificate and Death Certificate of spouse or Court Order on the Declaration of Presumptive Death, if previously reported spouse is presumed dead
  • Legally Separated
    • Decree of Legal Separation
  • Annulled or with void marriage
    • Certificate of Finality of Annulment/Nullity or annotated Marriage Contract/Marriage Certificate
  • Divorced
    • Decree of Divorce and Certificate of Naturalization (granted before divorce) or its equivalent
  • Divorced Muslim member
    • Certificate of Divorce (OCRG Form No. 102)
  • Reporting Child/ren
    • Birth Certificate/s or Baptismal Certificate/s or its equivalent
    • Decree of Adoption

How to Get an SSS Number (Branch)

1. Download the SSS E-1 form and fill it up. Put “N/A” if not applicable.
2 Copies, please.

SSS Registration and Procedures

2. Go to an SSS branch near you with the form and required documents.

3. Ask the officer-in-charge where to submit your application, you may also ask for a queue number.

4. When your number is called, submit your documents.

5. Wait for the in-charge to finish, you will be given your copy of your E-1 form and they will put your SS Number on it.

Keep it as you will be using it for your remittances, online registration and getting your ID.

How to get an SSS Number (Online)

You can get your SS Number online.

1. Go to this website.

2. Fill-up this form. Review and click “Submit.”

SSS Registration and Procedures13. Check your email for a link to continue your SS application.
Do it immediately or within 5 days as the link will expire.

4. Put in additional information (from your personal up to your Beneficiaries).

5. Review what you have typed and “Click Generate SS Number.”

6.. Print your Personal record form, SS Number slip and SSS Number Application confirmation in your email

7. Go to the nearest SSS Branch; with the required documents and number slip.

8. Your status from “Temporary Member” will be upgraded to “Permanent Membership”


Online Registration

You can register in SSS to avail services like getting a loan, checking your contributions or getting your PRN for payment.

1. Go to this website: SSS Registration. And select where you belong; usually, it’s Member Registration.

SSS Registration and Procedures2

2. Select which of these you can use in your SSS Online Registration.
If you don’t have a UMID ID, check this guide.
If you are new, you can use your Mobile Number Registered in SSS.

SSS Registration and Procedures3

3. Fill in the details.
Make sure you can access your email as a link will be sent there.

SSS Registration and Procedures4

4. Review your details and click “Submit.”

5. Check your email, it might not be received in a few minutes. Try going back after an hour.

6. Click the link and make a password. It should be alphanumeric.
Remember the password and use that to check your account.

Online Services – Voluntary or OFW Payment

1. Go to this website
Log-in to your account

SSS Registration and Procedures5

You can use the e-services in SSS Online –
Inquiry in about your contribution, applying for a loan, to a maternity notification and a possible pension during retirement.

SSS Registration and Procedures62. If you are voluntary or self-employed, you can pay via PRN.
Click “Generate PRN.”

SSS Registration and Procedures7

If you can’t do it, then you need to go to the nearest SSS Branch to get it.

3. Fill-in your type, the months you will be paying and the amount per month.
The total will compute for itself.
Submit Request after reviewing. 

SSS Registration and Procedures8

4. Your PRN will be available.
Print the SOA and give it to the payment center as it will be used for your payment.

SSS Registration and Procedures9

It will also serve as your receipt after payment.

Payment Centers

As per SSS Website, here is the list of centers where you can pay your SSS Contributions:


1. Asia United Bank
2. Bank of Commerce
3. Bank of the Philippine Islands
4. Philippine Business Bank
5. PNB Savings Bank
6. Security Bank Corp.
7. Union Bank of the Philippines

8. Wealth Development Bank, Inc.


1. CIS Bayad Center, Inc. – you can pay thru their corporate partners like LBC
G-Xchange, Inc. – this is thru Gcash. Check out our GCash How-to guide.
3. I-Remit, Inc.
4. Pinoy Express Hatid Padala Services, Inc.
5. Sky Freight Forwarders, Inc
6. Ventaja International, Inc.

SSS Retirement Benefit

When you retire, you will get a pension or monthly money from SSS. This will depend on how much you have contributed from the beginning to the end.

Qualified Members

Must have paid at least 120 monthly contributions and is one of the following:

  • 60 years old (separated from employment or ceased to be self-employed)
  • 65 years old (employed or not)
  • Underground Mineworkers:
    • 55 years old – worked for at least 5 years at the mine (continuous or accumulated)
    • Aged 60 years old (employed or not)

Types of Retirement Benefit

  • Monthly PensionCash benefit paid to a retiree who has at least 120 monthly paid contributions, it’s a lifetime benefit
  • Lumpsum AmountCash benefit paid to a retiree who has not reached 120 monthly paid contributions

See your pension online – You can go to eServices for Inquiry or Simulated Retirement Calculator

SSS Registration and Procedures10

Retirement Application Requirement

As per SSS Website, here are the requirements:

1. SSS Retirement Claim Application

2. DDR Signature Card

3. DDR Savings Account form

4. Certificate of Separation from last employer (if a member is less than 65 years old) 

5. Passbook or ATM Card (if pension)
You must open a savings account depending on your change and submit your savings account number and photocopy of your ATM or passbook. Original must be presented later.

6. Certified true copies of birth or baptismal certificate of dependent children

7. Certified of cessation of business or practice of the profession (for self-employed members who are less than 65 years old);

8. A certified true copy of marriage certificate

9. Proofs of filiation for illegitimate dependent children

10. UMID or SSS biometrics ID card or two (2) other valid IDs, both with signature and at least one (1) with photo and date of birth

Retirement Filing Procedure

1. Prepare all documents and go to the nearest SSS branch.

2. Enjoy your pension.

SSS has indeed a lot of benefits. The payments you have made, though minus sa sweldo or earnings mo ngayon, it will return to you when you are 60 or 65. Plus if you have emergencies, you can get a loan from SSS too! It is very useful and most people have it, so better to register early and invest in your future.

If you want to have a UMID ID, check this article. If you also want to know more about investing for your future, read Life Insurance Companies in the Philippines. You can also check out our other How-to guides on our website. Happy Reading!

Line seperator

Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

4 thoughts on “Filipino Retirement Pension – How to Register and Contribute in SSS plus its Benefits

  1. How can I register for pension retirement, is it online registration or I will go to nearest SSS Office/Branch. I have already get a form from online & had filled up too. What is the next step that will I do?
    Hoping for your kind response regarding this matter.

COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER:Many of the articles on Two Monkeys Travel Group are guest posts by a number of Approved Contributors and are hosted by Two Monkeys Travel Group. Approved Contributors control their own work and post freely to our site. This includes all text and images that they use within their own work. All contributors are instructed to follow internationally recognised copyright and intellectual property guidelines. Two Monkeys Travel Group takes its own responsibilities very seriously, so if you feel that any part of this work is abusive in any way, please send us an email so that we can investigate - [email protected]

DISCLOSURE: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links. So when you make a purchase we sometimes make a small commission, at no extra cost to you. The cost to you remains the same, sometimes even cheaper if we have negotiated a special deal for our readers.We use all of the companies we have listed here and that’s why they are in this list, but of course we need to keep Two Monkeys Travel Group running as well as it can, which is exactly what you’re helping with if you do decide to buy or book something through an affiliate link! If you have any more questions about the companies we use or any other companies you’re looking at, just email us and we’ll be happy to help.Please see our full disclaimer page for more information.

Written by Two Monkeys Travel - Contributor

Two Monkeys Travel Group – Community Travel Blog is a travel blog and website. We quickly grew into a valuable source of inspiring travel stories, advice, itineraries and travel guides, with the aim of demonstrating how to live a sustainable life of travel, whilst living your own definition of success. If you'd like to contribute and write a guest post, contact us at [email protected]