If you are a remote traveler and would like to stay in Europe for a long time, then Estonia has a great offer. Their Alien Act allows the digital nomad visa for international visitors, which is great. If you want to know more about Estonia Digital Nomad Visa, continue to read!
Estonia is a Baltic country that will take about 2 hours of flight time from my home country, Montenegro. This country is known for its town with beautiful medieval architecture and just less than an hour’s drive to a forest or lake. As per the World Health Organization, it also has the best air quality all over the world. It’s an excellent country to live, and they offer you the opportunity to do so with the Digital Nomad Visa.
- 7 Awesome Things To Do in Tallinn, Estonia
- Guide to Working Holiday Visa in Europe – How To Stay in Europe for 1 to 2 years!
- Hotel Schlössle: A Stone House Turned One Of The Finest Boutique Hotels In The Old Town Of Tallinn, Estonia
- Which Countries have a Working Holiday Visa Program?
- How to Get a Five Year Multiple Entry Schengen Visa for Filipino Citizens
What are the Perks of the Estonia Digital Nomad Visa?
1. Digital nomads can visit, stay, and work in Estonia for up to a year
You don’t anymore need an Estonia Tourist visa that lets you stay for 1 or 3 months in Estonia but can stay for the long-term. You could also work freely in the country as a remote worker.
2. The cost of living in Estonia is lower than in other powerful countries
If you compare the cost of living between Estonia and the big countries like the USA, Canada, UK, France, Italy, Germany, Japan, Australia, it’s about 20 – 60% lower. But the quality of living is also really high and comparable to these big nations. It’s peaceful, safe, and people are friendly. What more could you ask for?
3. It’s available to all
Though this has not opened yet, there are no restrictions as to nationality when you apply for an Estonia Digital Nomad Visa. As long as you prove that you are a remote worker and have a stable income, you are eligible to apply for one. About 1,800 people can apply per year. However, your background needs to be carefully checked, like regular visa applicants.
Why does Estonia offer this?
- This will help them recover due to the pandemic and progress in their country
- More remote workers living in Estonia means they will spend money in the country – more income for them
- Citizens will still have jobs – if you are a digital nomad, your clients are online, you won’t be applying for employment in Estonia and not take them from the locals
- Help in the progress of the country
Eligibility Requirements for an Estonia Digital Nomad Visa
- Can work independently regardless of location
- Perform duties remotely using telecommunications technology
- Either has:
- an employment contract with a company registered outside of Estonia
- conduct business through your own company registered abroad
- a freelancer for clients mostly outside of Estonia
- Have a minimum of €3504 (gross of tax) monthly income (met 6 months before application)
Documents Required for an Estonia Digital Nomad Visa
2. Documents that certify you can work anywhere and use telecommunication technology to perform your work – may be a Cover letter from the application with explanation and intention of using the visa
3. Proof that:
- You are working at a foreign-registered employer
- Foreign-registered company in which you have a shareholding
- You are a Freelancer or Consultant – Contracts or Proofs
Documents may be:
- Certificate of Employment (with complete details)
- Company Profile or Registration showing that it’s registered legally outside of Estonia, kind of business, work you are doing in the company, and legal representations
- Certification from employer or company that you can indeed work remotely
- Certificate of Stocks or Partnership/Ownership with your name
- Contracts with clients
- Income Tax Returns
- Social Security Contributions
4. Proof of Income – Please note that your minimum monthly income 6 months before application should be at least €3504 (gross of tax).
Documents May Be:
- Bank Statements (for the last 6 months)
- Employment Contract/s stating monthly income
- Proof of transactions or payslips for the last 6 months
5. Description of your study and professional life course
6. Visa Application Fee – €80 for a short-stay visa and €100 long-stay visa
Other documents to be submitted:
- Valid Passport – with at least 2 blank pages and valid at least 3 months from the visa’s expiration
- Photo – 35×45 mm
- Insurance Policy – valid during your stay in the Schengen Countries and is at least EURO 30,000. I recommend AXA Schengen.
- Proof of Purpose of Journey
- Accommodation in Estonia or Proof of Sufficient Means
- Sustenance in Estonia – at least €108 a day plus extra for flights back to your home country
- Proof that you have the intention to leave the Schengen Area before your visa expires
Estonia Embassies Handling Visa Applications
12 Darwin Avenue Yarralumla ACT
+61 2 6100 7717
Platonova 1B, 220034 Minsk, Belarus
(375 17) 217 7061
260 Dalhousie Street, Suite 210
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 7E4, Canada
(613) 789 4222
No. 1, Liangmaqiao Beixiaojie, Chaoyang District
Beijing, People’s Republic of China
(86 10) 85316700
8th floor, Abou El Feda Building Abou El Feda 3, Zamalek
(+20) 227 384 190
Porkkalankatu 22A, Helsinki 00180
17, rue de la Baume
+ 33 1 56 62 22 00
Kita Buashidze 4, Saburtalo
+995 32 2365 122
C15, Malcha Marg, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi, 110021 India
+91 11 4948 8650
3rd Floor, Block E, Iveagh Court, Harcourt Road
(353 1) 478 88 88
HaYovel Tower, 24. korrus, Menachem Begin Rd 125
Tel Aviv, Israel
(972) 3 710 39 10
2-6-15 Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku
(+81) 3 5412-7281
Avenue Kabanbay batyr 28, Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
+7 7172 240 280
5 Maly Kislovsky Pereulok
Moscow, Russian Federation
(7 495) 737 36 40
Pskov, Russian Federation
(7 811 2) 725 380
Bolshaya Monetnaya 14
St. Petersburg, Russian Federation
(7 812) 702 09 20
Tyrgatan 3, 11427 Stockholm, Sweden
(+46 8) 5451 2280
Golgeli Sokak No: 16, Gaziosmanpasa
(90 312) 40 56 970
Pushkinska st., 43B, Kyiv, Ukraine
(380 44) 590 07 80
44 Queen’s Gate Terrace, London
+44 (0) 20 75893428
3 Dag Hammarskjöld Plaza Suite 6B 305 East 47th St.
New York, USA
(+1 212) 883-0636
How to apply for an Estonia Digital Nomad Visa
STEP 1: Check if you are eligible for an Estonia Digital Nomad Visa.
STEP 2: Gather your requirements.
STEP 3: Contact the nearest embassy or consulate and ask information regarding the Estonia Digital Nomad Visa. Where to pass it, additional supporting documents, how to pay the fee (some may require a deposit to a bank account.) If it’s at the Embassy or at a Visa Application Center – book an appointment.
If you are required to pay at the bank, don’t forget to do so before your appointment.
STEP 4: Proceed to the Embassy or Visa Application Center. Don’t forget to bring your documents or deposit slip if you have already paid. Biometrics will usually be taken especially if it’s your first time to go to the Schengen Area.
STEP 5: Wait for the decision of the Embassy. It will usually take a minimum of 15 days.
STEP 6: Claim your passport with your Digital Nomad Visa.
Consul in the Philippines
Estonian Honorary Consul General in Manila
2232 Roxas Boulevard
6/F CTC Building
Pasay City, Manila
+63 2 8832 3283, +63 2 8832 3295
I hope you have learned about Estonia Digital Nomad Visa, here! If you want to stay in Europe for long, this will be a great and cheaper option. You can enjoy the fresh air and the beautiful country of Estonia as you work. Keep updated because we will soon publish an article when there are already guidelines on how!
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!