Have you ever watched the Filipino film Camp Sawi? Well, most of the scenes of this comedy-drama film are in Bantayan Island, Cebu. With many gorgeous white-sand islands, blue sea, and interesting spots, it’s a must-visit place. Here’s our travel guide to Bantayan Island, Cebu!
In the northern end of the Province in Cebu on the Visayan Sea, is the Bantayan Island. This Island is divided into 3 municipalities, Santa Fe is the center of tourism. There are also many small uninhabited islets nearby which are great for island hopping. Enjoy also the life under the sea as there are various colorful corals in Bantayan.
- Top 10 Things to do in Cebu, Philippines [with photos]
- 20 Best Islands with White Sand Beaches in the Philippines
- Your Travel Guide to the 81 Provinces of the Philippines
- 20 Best Scuba Diving & Liveaboard Destinations In The World
- 10 Days Itinerary in Bohol and Cebu, Philippines – Daily Itinerary, Things To Do
What to do in Bantayan Island, Cebu
View this post on Instagram
1. Off to Camp Sawi
Go off to Kota Beach in Santa Fe on the west side of Bantayan Island. It is where the Camp Sawi movie was filmed so you’ll see a sign there as well. Enjoy the white sand and the sand bar in this lovely part of the Island. Don’t forget to catch the beautiful sunset, here too!
2. Island Hop
Many small islands are surrounding Bantayan Island, when you are there, don’t forget to Island Hop. Many enjoy the famous Virgin Island, Hilantagaan Island, and many more. Bring your underwater cameras and snorkel gear to check out the marine life on the crystal blue sea.
3. See Touristic Spots
Go on an explore the Island of Bantayan and see Historical and Natural Spots. There’s St. Peter and Paul Church founded in 1580 but with a newly painted gorgeous ceiling. You can also check out an old fort in Kota Park, a Mangrove Eco Park as well as a cave. It has so much offer so that you won’t regret it!
Here are the costs you might incur during your trip to Bantayan Island:
Entrance Fees and Activities
- Environmental Fee – PHP 30
- Island Hopping – PHP 500 – 1,000
- Mangrove Eco Park – PHP 50
- Ogtong Cave – PHP 200
- Paradise Beach – PHP 50
- Bicycle Rental – PHP 100 – 200 a day
- Motorcycle Rental – PHP 250 – 400 a day
- Tricycle Tour – PHP 500 – 700
There are many gorgeous resorts in Bantayan Island; you can check some here:
- There are restaurants all over Bantayan Island; most can cost you PHP 100 plus per meal
- If you want to save money in food, try where locals in the area eat like the carenderias
How to get to Bantayan Island
- The nearest airport is the Mactan-Cebu International Airport in Lapu-Lapu
- From there, you can ride a MyBus and stop at Parkmall then ride a 01K jeepney to Cebu North Bus Terminal (PHP 33 – 60)
- You can also get a taxi from MCIA to Cebu North Bus Terminal (PHP 100 – 250)
- From Cebu North Bus Terminal, ride a bus or v-hire to Hagnayan Port in San Remigio, Cebu
- Travel time is 3 – 4 hours and fare cots PHP 150 – 250, depending on if it’s airconditioned or not
To Bantayan Island
- At Hagnaya Port, ride a ferry to Sta. Fe, Bantayan Island, Cebu
- It will cost PHP 180 for an hour ride
- Here is the schedule to and from Hagnaya to Bantayan
Travel Guide Tips to Bantayan Island
- Tricycle rides will usually cost PHP 20 – 30
- To handle your itinerary, you can also rent a motorcycle or a bike for your island tour
- There may be an entrance fee to some islands, but most boats will not dock there, and you’ll swim in the water
Sample Itinerary in Bantayan Island, Cebu
Day 1 in Bantayan Island
4:00 AM – Travel from Cebu North Bus Terminal to Hagnaya
8:00 AM – Arrive at Hagnaya Port
9:00 AM – Arrive at Bantayan Island / Relax and tour the beach
12:00 PM – Lunch
1:00 PM – Bantayan Island Tour / Beach Bumming / Sunset at Kota Beach
7:00 PM – Dinner / Sleep
Day 2 in Bantayan Island
7:00 AM – Breakfast / Preparation
8:00 AM – Island Hopping / Swimming
12:00 PM – Lunch
2:00 PM – Beach Bumming / Check out
4:30 PM – Travel from Bantayan Island to Mainland
5:30 PM – Arrive in Hagnaya Port
9:30 PM – Arrival in Cebu City
I hope this travel guide to Bantayan Island is handy for your future adventure there. There are many things to do in this gorgeous Island; from Island Hopping or Touring to plain relaxing. You won’t regret going to this part of Cebu. It’s super worth it and superb!
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!
About the Writer
Hey, I’m Lyza! I once was a person who just imagined going to places “one day” but decided to pursue my dreams. My first travel abroad was in Japan, solo, last 2018, and fell in love with the journey since. I’m aiming to visit 10 countries before turning 30 and 2 new places in the Philippines every year. Besides traveling, I love organizing trips, photography, reading, and making new friends. Follow my adventures through my Instagram.