If you’re interested to start kayaking, you have to choose the best kayak boat that’s suitable for your next adventure. We’ll discuss them all here.
Kayaking is a great water activity that makes someone wanted to try it again and again. To get the best kayaking experience, you need proper equipment, such as Kayak Boat. To get to know more about a kayak boat, there are several things that you have to understand, such as the boat types, the capacity, materials, and type of hulls.
Table of Contents
There are 3 types of boat that you can use:
- Sit-on-Top boat allows you to have direct contact with sun rays, wind, and waves. Sit-on-top kayaking needs a wide hull and centered boat to be able to sit stably above it. For you who want to go fishing, this type of kayak is the best option since it was designed to have slower mobility and low maneuverability.
- Sit-Inside kayak has closed hulls, which makes you have better protection from direct contact with sun rays, wind, and waves. The boat also has a lower center of gravity since the hulls are below the surface of the water. The sit-inside boat has various sizes, from short and wide to very long and slim. Short and wide kayaks are suitable for relaxing, while long and slim kayaks are suitable for more extreme exploration.
- Inflatable kayaks are easy to transport and have a lightweight (30 pounds). Since the boat can be pumped or deflated, it’s easier to put in the trunk. The disadvantage of an inflatable kayak is the slow movement price. Inflatable kayak mostly uses sit-on-top design for its boat.
To determine the boat capacity, there are two types of kayak boat that you should consider:
- Single Capacity is designed for one kayaker and has the most flexibility regardless of the activities you do while on the kayak.
- Tandem Capacity is designed for group kayaking, such as family or friends. It has more seats that it’s even suitable for kids around 5 to 6 years old. They can paddle the kayak as well. This type of kayak is usually more pricey than the single one.
There are several types of material used to construct a kayak, but mostly are plastic-based material such as polyethylene or nonplastic material such as composite / thermoformed ABS.
- Polyethylene has a tough characteristic and more affordable. But, it’s also heavier and if it’s punctured, the reparation is more difficult. Kayak boat made from this material is more suitable for recreation and relaxation paddling.
- Composite or Thermoformed ABS is lighter, more stylish, and easier to repair. However, it’s more expensive and usually has more glide while on the water which makes it the best option for a long-distance or competition paddler.
Types of the Hulls
We know that kayak boat hulls determine the boat type if it’s sit-on-top or sit-inside. But you also need to know that the hulls types are various.
- Rounded hulls are designed to make the boat have a greater speed and maneuverability;
- V-Shaped hulls are designed for greater speed and straight paddling;
- Flat hulls are designed for great stability; and
- Pontoon hulls are designed for the best stability.
After understanding those important things about the kayak boat, you can determine which is the most suitable kayak boat for your necessity. Based on the types, the list below can be your option for selecting the right kayak boat for your exploration.
List of 9 Kayak Boats that You can Choose From
Pro’s and Con’s of Each Kayak Boat
A. Sit-on-Top Kayak
- Even though it has a single capacity, but the load capacity is quite large, u to 300 Pounds.
- Equipped with 4 fishing rod holders and fish finder mount or rectangular base accessories to accommodate anglers’ needs.
- Easy access paddle rest and comfortable to ride.
- It has a built-in seat and backrest, so you won’t need a separate seat.
- To make it easier to mobilize, it has 4 molded-in handles
- Not delivering to some countries.
- The backrest is a little bit brittle.
- Easy to transport with the center carry handle.
- Equipped with an adjustable quick-release seat back and paddle.
- Secure loose items are included.
- Suitable for leisure purposes.
- 5-years limited warranty.
- Not suitable for kayakers taller than 6 feet.
- Suitable for all body size and abilities.
- The seats are included.
- The overlapping foot constructed greatly to allows the center-seated paddlers to have comfortable foot bracing.
- Long and large capacity.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- Not delivering to some countries.
- Doesn’t including paddles.
B. Sit-Inside Kayak
- The boat length is 12 feet long and weighs 50 pounds with maximum loads up to 350 pounds.
- Sturdy, lightweight, flexible, maneuverable, comfortable, and trendy design.
- Wide storage hulls to storing your equipment.
- Equipped with contoured poly seat with bottle holder, padded thigh braces, and adjustable foot braces.
- Limited warranty.
- Heavy and needs a roomy space to store.
- Lightweight design to make it portable.
- Suitable for all ages and capabilities.
- The padded seat back is included and adjustable.
- Comfortable, versatile, and stable.
- The hull’s wide and deep.
- Not delivering to some countries.
- Not suitable for paddler taller than 6 feet.
- The paddles aren’t included.
- Adjustable and comfortable backrest and extra cushy seat padding.
- Suitable for solo paddling since it’s equipped with adjustable bow seat positioning which offers a smooth and comfortable feeling.
- Easy to carry.
- Comfortable, durable, stable, and secure.
- Leak-proof construction with built-in buoyancy to make it more stable.
- The cockpit is large, as well as the dry storage room with easy on/off the sealed cover.
- Heavy and roomy space for storing.
- Paddles are not included.
- Tandem boat with a large weight capacity.
- Certified by NMMA.
- The package is including a pressure gauge and repair kit, seat-back, 2 paddles, foot pump, and carry bag.
- The paddles have an asymmetrical blade and made from the aluminum shaft.
- Equipped with 2 skegs on the bottom of better tracking and speed.
- Easy and quick to inflate.
- Great maneuverability and stability.
- The seat quality is so-so.
- Overall packages are quite heavy.
- Made from super-tough laminated PVC with a polyester core which makes it lightweight and highly resistant to damage abrasion, impact, and sunlight.
- It needs high-pressure inflation to provide extra rigidity and stability.
- Equipped with 2 removable skews for deep and shallow water, 2 floor-mounted footrest, 2 fishing rod holders, and 2 adjustable bucket seats.
- The mounting bracket is removable and adjustable.
- It has a storage space in the bow and stern with stainless steel D-rings for tying down dry bag and gear.
- Heavy package.
- The length of the paddle is short.
- A super-rigid system which allows you to stand-up and fishing as well.
- Designed for heavy-duty use with large capacity.
- Comfortable, stable, and secure.
- Compact storage.
- Package including 2 stages high and low-pressure inflation pump, 2 folding seats, 2 paddles, repair kit, and storage bag.
- Not delivering to some countries
- The repair kit doesn’t have glue in it.
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!