How Foreigners can get a 13a Marriage Visa in the Philippines (Non-Quota Immigrant Visa by Marriage)

In case you are married to a Philippine Citizen and want to live in the Philippines, you can get a Non-Quota Immigrant Visa by Marriage. Here’s our guide on How Foreigners can get a 13a Marriage Visa in the Philippines.

5 Unique Cancun Wedding Venues

Foreign nationals whose country also grants permanent residency and immigration privileges to Filipinos can be given a visa due to their marriage to a Philippine Citizen. Dependents can also be granted visas. This is under Commonwealth Act No. 613 or the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940. Read more about getting a 13(a) marriage visa and being a permanent resident in the Philippines.

Who are eligible for a 13a Marriage Visa (Immigrant Permanent Visa)

  • Has a valid marriage with a Filipino
  • Marriage is recognized as valid under Philippine laws
  • No record of derogatory information by an enforcement agency
  • Without a dangerous or contagious disease
  • Has the financial capacity to support a family and will not become a public burden
  • Allowed entry to the Philippines and authorized to stay
  • Citizen of the following countries:

How Foreigners can get a 13a Marriage Visa in the Philippines 02

Two Types of 13a Marriage Visa


This is good for one year; then, you will need to have your visa amended to permanent

Permanent 13a Marriage Visa (Amendment to Permanent)

You will be a permanent visa holder. Both their requirements and steps are the same. However, for the biometrics for the permanent are:

  • Biometrics data previously captured shall be used
  • For aged 10 and below, biometrics are captured every here
  • For applicants 11 and above, biometrics are captured every after 5 years

Requirements for a 13a Marriage Visa in the Philippines

1. Consolidated General Application Form – Duly accomplished

Requirements for a 13a Marriage Visa in the Philippines

2. Checklist – please read this ahead

3. Letter – addressed to the Commissioner from the Applicant and Filipino Spouse

4. Marriage Certificate or Marriage Contract

5. Birth Certificate of the Filipino Spouse – proving that s/he is Filipino

6. Copy of Applicant’s passport bio-page and latest admission with valid authorized stay

7. BI Clearance Certificate

8. For those who have filed this 6 months or more from the date of the first arrival – valid NBI Clearance (You arrived on January 1 but filed for 13a Marriage Visa on July 1)

9. Original or certified true copy of the Bureau of Quarantine Medical Clearance, if you are from the following countries:

Getting a Philippines Treaty Trader’s Visa or Treaty Investor’s Visa (9D Visa) 01

If with Dependent:

1. Information on Applicant’s Children

2. Consolidated General Application Form – Duly accomplished

3. Photocopy of passport bio-page and latest admission with valid authorized stay

4. Proof of filiation with the main applicant – e.g., Birth Certificate or Adoption Papers

5. For those who have filed this 6 months or more from the date of the first arrival – valid NBI Clearance (You arrived on January 1 but filed for 13a Marriage Visa on July 1)

6. BI Clearance Certificate

7. Original or certified true copy of Bureau of Quarantine Medical Clearance, if the applicant is a national of any of the countries listed above

13a Marriage Visa Fees

How Foreigners can get a 13a Marriage Visa in the Philippines 01

Step by Step Guide in Applying for 13a Marriage Visa

STEP 1: Gather all requirements for your application.

STEP 2: Go to the BI Main office or any office to process this kind of visa. Submit it to the staff in charge of the pre-screening. You will receive an Order of Payment Slip.

STEP 3: Pay the necessary fees. Get an official receipt and note of the schedule to come back.

STEP 4: Attend a hearing during your scheduled date—Ready your requirements for the ARC I-Card Application. Go to the registration division so that your biometrics will be captured.

STEP 5: To know if your visa and ACR I-Card has been approved, you may check the BI’s Website. If you are approved, you need to submit your passport so that a sticker will be pasted.

STEP 6: Claim both your passport and ACR I-Card

BI Offices Accepting 13a Marriage Visa

Bureau of Immigration – Main Office
Magallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila, Philippines
+632 8-547-3769, +632 8-465-2400
[email protected] or [email protected]

District Offices

  • Cagayan de Oro – receiving only
  • Cebu – receiving and implementation only
  • Davao – approval in main, implementation in here
  • Iloilo
  • San Fernando, La Union
  • Tacloban – amendment

Field Offices

  • Angeles
  • Baguio City – will be transmitted to the main office of approval; afterward, they process visa implementation
  • Batangas – Receiving, payment, hearing, and implementation only
  • Dagupan
  • Santa Rosa
  • Vigan – receiving for probationary only
  • Zamboanga –probationary


  • Makati Extension Office – for Top 1000 Corporations
  • PEZA Extension Office – must have endorsement from PEZA
How to get a PSA Marriage Certificate
Photo by Drew Coffman on Unsplash

I hope this guide is helpful for you in getting a 13a Marriage Visa in the Philippines. Probationary visas are good for a year and then can be converted to a permanent one. I hope you enjoy living with your family in the Philippines!

About the Writer

Lyza Paloma

Hey, I’m Lyza! I once was a person who just imagined going to places “one day” but decided to pursue my dreams. My first travel abroad was in Japan, solo, last 2018, and fell in love with the journey since. I’m aiming to visit 10 countries before turning 30 and 2 new places in the Philippines every year. Besides traveling, I love organizing trips, photography, reading, and making new friends. Follow my adventures through my Instagram.

Line seperator

Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

5 thoughts on “How Foreigners can get a 13a Marriage Visa in the Philippines (Non-Quota Immigrant Visa by Marriage)

  1. Hi there, thanks for your post. My visa is already approved as per BI website, may I ask if I need to pay anything for them to put the visa on my passport and ACR icard? The agent told me that I have to pay 3500 for Implementation fee and 100 for trv card. I am not sure if that’s true? How’s your case? Thank you for your help!

  2. Dear Sir/Madam
    Immigration office
    I am an Nepali citizen, married to Philippiana over 28 years with having 3 children’s age 26, 19 , and 17 .
    living in Angeles city, Pampanga. worked in Middle east for past 40 years and now home with family due to Pandemic Corona Covid-19 crises. and wish to stay permanently here, so please advise where can I get application form and how can I apply on line or I have to present my self to Immigration branch office in Pampanga?
    highly appreciated your kind advise.

  3. Hi Lyza, your work on Foreigners and the 13A visa is amazing. Easy to read and beautiful to look at. Do you also answer questions? It is so hard to get some specific information so I am reaching out wherever I can. Here are a couple of questions. If my Filipina wife and I have been married for 15 years and were married in Manila and have lived all these years in Manila, do I need an Affidavit of Cohabitation?
    What is the difference between an NBI Clearence and an NBI Clearence Certificate? I already got Amy NBI multipurpose Clearance.
    And the most important question is whether it is necessary to have an appoint for the first visit? I think they just look at your papers to see if you have everything. For reasons I don’t understand, the appointment process is very hard. You have to wake up at mid-night and try to grab one of the 2 slots for the next available day. This means we are all competing and losing sleep. Help! And thanks 😉

  4. Hi,
    Thank you for the information however, how about if the citizenship of the foreign spouse is not in the list? Are they not anymore entitled to the Immigrant Permanent Visa?


COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER:Many of the articles on Two Monkeys Travel Group are guest posts by a number of Approved Contributors and are hosted by Two Monkeys Travel Group. Approved Contributors control their own work and post freely to our site. This includes all text and images that they use within their own work. All contributors are instructed to follow internationally recognised copyright and intellectual property guidelines. Two Monkeys Travel Group takes its own responsibilities very seriously, so if you feel that any part of this work is abusive in any way, please send us an email so that we can investigate - [email protected]

DISCLOSURE: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links. So when you make a purchase we sometimes make a small commission, at no extra cost to you. The cost to you remains the same, sometimes even cheaper if we have negotiated a special deal for our readers.We use all of the companies we have listed here and that’s why they are in this list, but of course we need to keep Two Monkeys Travel Group running as well as it can, which is exactly what you’re helping with if you do decide to buy or book something through an affiliate link! If you have any more questions about the companies we use or any other companies you’re looking at, just email us and we’ll be happy to help.Please see our full disclaimer page for more information.

Written by Lyza Paloma

Lyza is a native of Leyte who spent 10 years studying and working in Cebu before working for Two Monkeys Travel. She decided to stop daydreaming and started to pursue her dreams of traveling to the Philippines and the world. She has already been to 4 countries in Asia and 18 provinces in the Philippines. She’s flexible and can travel solo, with friends, or family. Besides traveling, she loves organizing trips, taking pictures, reading, and making new friends.

Send this to a friend