Facebook Pixel

Expired Canada Visa: What Happens If You Overstay in Canada?

By Kach Umandap March 10th, 2022 Posted in Guide for Filipinos, Travel Blog, VISA Application Guides 9 Comments

Canada is one of the most generous countries that you could visit. Temporary Resident Visa Holders (e.g., tourists, visitors, etc.) can stay for up to 6 months. You can also apply for an extension for at least 30 days if you want to stay more. But some people go beyond their authorized stay. Here’s a list of consequences if you overstay in Canada.

Overstay in Canada Consequences of Going Beyond Authorized Stay

Temporary Resident Visas to Canada are usually issued according to the validity of your passport. You can get at most ten years. Canada is also very open to immigrants and citizenship. However, to get benefits, you’ll need to have proper papers and not overstay in Canada as per your visa rules.

1. Inadmissible

As per Canada’s Official Website, people who overstay in Canada may be Inadmissible. Inadmissible people will be denied visa or Electronic Travel Authorization, refused entry or removed from Canada. This will be under failure to comply with any provision of IRPA (Immigration and Refugee Protection Act). An example is temporary residents who don’t respect the conditions of their stay— they stay longer than allowed, or work or study without the proper permits.

2. Arrest, Deportation, or Removals

What Will Happen if Overstay your Schengen Visa
Bill Oxford

Those who overstay in Canada may receive a Removal Order as issued by the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). Removal orders will state that you are can’t legally remain in Canada and must leave the country. It can be effective immediately or after a decision in case you appealed.

As per the CBSA Website, there are three types of Removal Order:

Departure Order

  • When order takes effect, the person in the removal order must leave Canada within 30 days
  • Confirm departure with the CBSA so that you may return to Canada in the future
  • If not (no confirmation or did not leave within 30 days), an Authorization to Return to Canada must be obtained before coming back

Exclusion Order

  • You can’t go back for one year
  • If you want to return within a year, apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada
  • Should the order be due to misrepresentation, the ban will be for five years instead of one
  • You must repay the cost paid by the CBSA for your removal

Deportation Order

  • You are barred from Canada and can’t return unless you have an Authorization to Return to Canada
  • Repay the costs paid by the CBSA for your removal

P.S. Failure to appear for a removal interview or schedule a removal date may make the CBSA issued a Canada-wide warrant of arrest. You may be detained and have an escort officer.

3. Visa Refusal (on your future application)

Canada Visa

Should the officials know that you Overstayed in Canada, your visa may be denied. Especially if you were issued a Removal order or was declared as inadmissible.

If you want to stay long or work in Canada, you can apply as a Permanent Resident or Canadian Citizen. Do not hide and illegally stay. Nowadays, they are very open to make you a resident or a Citizen there. Benefits in Canada are also great, from Education to Health Care. So, it’s better to follow their rules and regulations.

Tips as to not Overstay in Canada

  • Keep your document (e.g., plane tickets, boarding pass, bus tickets) especially if you don’t get a stamp as you enter Canada
  • Track how many days you have been in the country if you want to stay for the whole 6 months make sure you set an alarm or reminder
  • If you wish to extend your stay, you can research ahead the processing time and documents needed so that you won’t overstay
  • Should you like to change your status, you can also research ahead and process immediately to have ample time to stay in Canada

Now, you have learned the consequence when you overstay in Canada. Like most countries, it’s better to follow their rules and not go beyond your authorized period of stay. This will be a bad record and might get you denied in other visa applications. Follow simple rules, and you’ll be able to travel the world.

Line seperator

Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

9 thoughts on “Expired Canada Visa: What Happens If You Overstay in Canada?

  1. And even overstaying your visa in Canada has more flexible consequences than doing the same in the US, if you overstay your visa in the US by just six months is a three year bar from returning, and overstaying for one year or more is a 10 year bar from returning.

  2. I was searching for a proper explanation Student visa application in Canada. Thanks, admin, for sharing such wonderful content on this topic. Now I have got everything I need about it. Here’s another informative content on. Visitor Record in Canada You will get well researched information about it.

  3. I’m
    Under a confused situation because,

    I’ve been in Canada for 9 months. However, before the expiry of my 6 months, I applied for a visitor extension which I paid a fee but states that you may stay in Canada as you wait for an answer. Still haven’t received an answer. May I travel outside and come back without having an issue ?

  4. I used to work for canada 9 years on work permit and returned back to my country.but I stayed in canada one year over stay.can I visit to canada again

      1. What happen if I did not leave after I got an exclusion order.
        My refugee case was denied but I got a work permit for couple months so can I renew it or I should leave after it expires?

COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER:Many of the articles on Two Monkeys Travel Group are guest posts by a number of Approved Contributors and are hosted by Two Monkeys Travel Group. Approved Contributors control their own work and post freely to our site. This includes all text and images that they use within their own work. All contributors are instructed to follow internationally recognised copyright and intellectual property guidelines. Two Monkeys Travel Group takes its own responsibilities very seriously, so if you feel that any part of this work is abusive in any way, please send us an email so that we can investigate - [email protected]

DISCLOSURE: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links. So when you make a purchase we sometimes make a small commission, at no extra cost to you. The cost to you remains the same, sometimes even cheaper if we have negotiated a special deal for our readers.We use all of the companies we have listed here and that’s why they are in this list, but of course we need to keep Two Monkeys Travel Group running as well as it can, which is exactly what you’re helping with if you do decide to buy or book something through an affiliate link! If you have any more questions about the companies we use or any other companies you’re looking at, just email us and we’ll be happy to help.Please see our full disclaimer page for more information.

Written by Kach Umandap

Founder of Two Monkeys Travel Group. Since 2013, Kach has visited all the 7 continents (including Antarctica) and 151 countries using her Philippines Passport. In 2016, she bought a sailboat and went on sailing adventures with her two cats - Captain Ahab & Little Zissou in the Caribbean for 2 years. She now lives in Herceg Novi, Montenegro where she's enjoying her expat life and living on a gorgeous Stonehouse. She writes about her experiences traveling as a Filipina traveler with a PHL Passport. Also tips on backpacking trips, luxury hotel experiences, product reviews, sailing & adventure travel.