“Classic British vibes!”
That’s what I had in mind when I first saw our two-level converted coach house cottage at Orestone Manor. After spending a whole five days and nights in a camper van, we drove to the picturesque Devon village of Maidencombe, Southwest England to wrap up our week in luxurious style. When I say ‘luxurious’, Orestone Manor perfectly fits that description in classic British style; open log fires, high ceilings, antique furnishings and a relaxed warming ambiance in country house over 170 years old.
The Orestone Manor is a family–owned property with a lot of history behind it; the house was built by the creator of the world’s first Christmas card, Sir John Calcott Horsley, who was also the brother in law of Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
The main building houses the lounge, the restaurant, Brunel bar and of course the 12 unique rooms and suites, all decorated, furnished and themed individually, so no two are alike. Our own luxury cottage in the recently converted Coach house was very modern in contrast to the rest of the property. Every bit the classic country cottage on the outside, we walked into a bright open and modern space, with a king size bed looking out to a private terrace complete with a hot tub to relax in! Stairs lead up to the living room and kitchenette with folding glass doors opening the whole wall to the second private terrace and views all the way out to sea! This was the perfect place for a room service breakfast in the fresh air and morning sun.
Great food is a running theme at Orestone Manor, the a la carte menu taking classic British and international dishes and rebuilding them using original and fresh local ingredients, like the wild foraged mushroom linguini and the, gin-infused smoked salmon. Being right next to the coast there’s a great selection of seafood dishes. While we were there we tried the scallops, sea bass and the monkfish, all of which we’re excellent. Jonathan also had the best venison he’s eaten in any restaurant with our first dinner!
In between breakfast, lunch and dinner, there’s no need to sit in your room pining for the next meal, Orestone Manor serves traditional teas and cakes and the oh so very English ‘Afternoon Tea’ and Devonshire Cream Tea. If you’re looking for a truly British experience to put the finishing touch to your vacation, it doesn’t get much more British than this!
The awesome suites, traditional British charm and stunning views that Orestone manor has to offer are reason enough to plan a stay here. But to make it extra easy for you, I’ve broken it down into five easy reasons you should make a stay at Orestone Manor a part of your stay in the UK:
1. The spacious accommodation
Since we arrived at Orestone Manor straight from a camper van tour of Cornwall, my eyes widened upon seeing our luxurious private cottage. It really is huge and the separate bedroom and living space upstairs really makes you feel like you’re in a luxury home rather than a hotel suite! If you want a virtual tour of our cottage, check out our live video!
2. The traditional atmosphere
I can’t count the times that I’ve stayed in contemporary–styled luxury properties. For us millennials, such kind of interiors are the norm; the minimalist furniture and neutral colors are our ‘thing’. However, there’s something about traditional British houses that give you that classic luxury feeling, where the luxury is an experience of the senses rather than a list of facilities. In Orestone Manor, this is exactly what you get, yet balanced with all the modern amenities you need and more.
3. The views are rejuvenating
For busy couples like us, it is good to take a break at some point, to just take things slowly and absorb what’s around us. When I first saw the sea view from our cottage, I couldn’t help but release a long ‘sigh’. I felt so blessed staying in this luxurious property with someone I truly adore. Everything was perfect, restorative even!
4. The food is impeccable
I know that I am trying to lose weight but the food in Orestone Manor is impossible to resist and the menu is full of healthy choices. Something I noticed that really impressed us is that the vegetarian menu is just as long as the non-vegetarian menu. We’re not vegetarian, but it’s great to have so many options.
5. The experts recommend it!
If these reasons aren’t enough for you, perhaps the recognitions from different award giving bodies should convince you to stay here. Did you know that this amazing country house has won awards from Condé Nast Johansens, double AA Rosettes for fine dining, and double gold-wins in the renowned Taste of the West hotel and restaurant awards? Not only that, Orestone Manor is also a constant winner of TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence and has been included in ‘Relish South West’, a guide to 20 of the most outstanding fine dining venues across the South West.
Check the room rates and deals at Orestone Manor
The Rooms and Suites at Orestone Manor
Two Monkeys Travel – Luxury Hotel Review – Orestone Manor, Devon, UK – 2nd floor living room of the Coachhouse
If you want to stay in the best suites in Orestone Manor (in our opinion), you should choose from Coach House Suites, Garden Suite or Horsley Suite.
We stayed in the Coach House and boy, it was amazing! It just opened this year and guests can enjoy the balconies, private hot tub, and a free-standing bath in their living room! There’s even a private parking space.
Two Monkeys Travel – Luxury Hotel Review – Orestone Manor, Devon, UK – Luxury is a bath in your living room!
Two Monkeys Travel – Luxury Hotel Review – Orestone Manor, Devon, UK – Private hot tub on the lower terrace
Two Monkeys Travel – Luxury Hotel Review – Orestone Manor, Devon, UK – Just running a hot bath next to my sofa…
- Feature Rooms – These fantastic rooms are all located on the prime first floor. If you are planning to stay for long periods of time, then getting a room in this property is worth it.
- Superior Rooms – Are you looking for a more spacious room? If you are, then why not book for the superior rooms in Orestone Manor? The rooms have direct or partial sea view which will make your stay even more memorable.
- Classic Sea – View Rooms – The rooms are located at the top floor of the house that will allow the guests to enjoy the view of the calming sea.
- Classic Rooms – Simple comfortable rooms with everything you need for a good night’s sleep offering excellent value for the budget-conscious traveller
The Gastronomic Experience
Since Orestone Manor is owned by passionate chefs, you can expect that their food and beverages are always top – class! You get to indulge on modern European food using the finest ingredients.
I don’t have to say much about our breakfast. Jon’s expression should tell it all. 🙂
Two Monkeys Travel – Luxury Hotel Review – Orestone Manor, Devon, UK – This is breakfast
Two Monkeys Travel – Luxury Hotel Review – Orestone Manor, Devon, UK – We could have eaten breakfast in the bath!
It doesn’t matter if you want to have a formal and romantic dinner or a casual dining experience to end your day. The Orestone Manor restaurant can whip up something amazing for you.
And if you love wines, then the wide selection from this property will exceed your expectation.
Here is the schedule of Orestone Manor restaurant so you can’t miss their world- class food.
– Breakfast: 0800 – 10.00 AM
– Lunch: 12.00 – 2.00 PM
– Afternoon Tea: 2.30 – 5.30 PM (A MUST TRY WHEN STAYING IN ORESTONE MANOR)
– Dinner: 7.00 – 9.00 PM
Two Monkeys Travel – Luxury Hotel Review – Orestone Manor, Devon, UK – Devonshire Cream Tea, with scone
Two Monkeys Travel – Luxury Hotel Review – Orestone Manor, Devon, UK – The Famous Orestone Afternoon Tea!
- Private Celebrations – If you are planning a private party or intimate celebrations with your family and friends, look no further because Orestone Manor can provide you with space, food, drinks, atmosphere and elegant rooms that are perfect for your needs.
- Conferences – For your team building needs, Orestone Manor can take care of this too, just 10 minutes from Torquay and 20 minutes from the M5.
There are so many things to do around Orestone Manor. It is impossible to have dull days while you are here! To further prove this point, I’ll share with you some of the best things you can do within the area.
- Rock Solid Coasteering – Join this if you want to have some cool and new adventures that will pump up your adrenalin!
- Yacht Charter Devon- How about exploring the nearby sea by yacht?
- Golf Club – Would you like to play golf with your friends? A great facility is just around the corner.
- South Devon Railway – Check out the longest steam railway in the region which is also a popular tourist attraction.
- The Virtual Jet Centre – Get ready to fly, or not! But with the Boeing 737 motion flight stimulator, you can have the incredible experience of flying an aircraft.
- Stand Up Paddle School – Stay in shape even while you are on vacation. This latest water sport will test your balance and tone your whole body!
- Babbacombe Model Village and Gardens – If you are after some miniature landscaped gardens, then this is a great spot for you to visit.
- Explore Kents Cavern – Experience stepping back in time to the Stone Age and discover the Britain’s oldest form of shelter.
- Paignton Zoo – If you are traveling with kids or if you love animals, then Paignton Zoo is not a bad choice to include in your itinerary.
Summary and Tips
Orestone Manor is the ideal place to have a relaxing vacation in the south English countryside traditional British style.
Note: We stayed as guests at Orestone Manor and our stay was complimentary, however all views and opinions are my own.