Did you decide to stay in a foreign country due to the outbreak? Do you find it hard to go home and chose to stay where you currently are? Is your visa almost expiring? Well, we will tell you how to handle visa overstays.
In this hard time, people are advised to stay at home and do non-essential traveling. Most countries are not issuing visas to foreign nationals anymore and closed their borders for foreigners. Some tourists are unfortunately trapped and can’t go home. Maybe this article could help you extend your stay!
- During the Coronavirus Situation: Schengen Visa Updates for Philippine Passport Holders
- How to Cancel Non-Refundable Booking for Tours and Hotels [with sample email template]
- PAL Passengers: How to Cancel and Reschedule Your Flight or Get Refunds on Philippine Airlines [With Sample Letter Template]
- Productive Things You Can Do at Home During Community Quarantine
- Travel Using Virtual Reality – How to use Google Virtual Tours and Places You Can Visit While You’re At Home
What to do?
- Check the immigration page of the country you are in for announcement with regards to visa extensions.
- Should you not find the website, check out the local news of the country.
- You could also check your Embassy’s website located in that country and contact them for information about visa extensions.
- Follow government guidelines – should they tell you to avoid going out then do so
- Should there be an announcement for visa extensions, go immediately to the nearest office to have an extension, if the status is okay (e.g., no enhanced community quarantines, lockdowns, etc.)
Here are some announcement of Major Countries with Regards to Visa Extensions
Per the Bureau of Immigration dated April 8, 2020, if your visa expires during the Enhance Community Quarantine, you may file your visa extension 30 days after the ban is lifted. There will be no penalties.
However, foreigners are penalized and shall pay fines if the extension is filed 30 days after the ban is lifted. Had your visa expired before March 17 (ECQ), you will be required to pay the fines. Should you want to extend your stay, here is a guide for Tourist Visa Extension in the Philippines.
You must apply for an extension before your visa expires. Conditions will depend on the visa you currently have. For example, for a Visitor Visa or ETA, you must apply for a new visa as it is not possible to extend those mentioned. A bridging visa is given to you until a decision is made on your application. See their immigration website for more details.
As of July 6, 2022, “People leaving Australia will not be asked to provide evidence of their vaccination status.”
Temporary Residence Visa holders can extend their stay in Canada. You can apply for an extension online through the IRCC Website. Do this before your stay expires.
For those in the Schengen Area and can’t go back to their home countries and are compelled to stay longer than their visa. Short-stay visa holders are extended 90 days or can get a temporary residence permit. You just need to contact the immigration office or prefecture near your area.
Should you have a long-stay visa or resident permits expiring between March 16 and May 15, 2020, your stay can be extended for three months. If you are out of the country that has issued your visa, you can come back when the situation allows you to.
You can also check the official website that has issued your visa for more information.
For those whose visa expires before May 31, 2020, and can’t leave the UK but are not planning to stay long, you need to contact the Coronavirus Immigration Team. Should you want to stay in the UK for the long-term, please read more details here.
As of March 14, 2022, The United Kingdom (UK) government will remove the remaining COVID-19 international travel restrictions for all passengers from 4am Friday 18 March.
Embassies and Consulates List
Please click on the links below to access the list of Embassies and Consulate of your Country.
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United States
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Equatorial Guinea
- Ivory Coast
- Republic of the Congo
- São Tomé and Príncipe
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- East Timor
- North Korea
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka
- United Arab Emirates
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Czech Republic
- North Macedonia
- San Marino
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
Don’t forget to check the country’s immigration website or follow their Facebook page or twitter accounts to be updated. Also, follow your Embassy’s, especially if they assist during this time of need. For now, please keeps safe and follow the government’s order to avoid getting Corona Virus and its spread.
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!