Off to get a new job or to get a residence visa to another country? Well, an employer or an embassy might ask a DBS Check from you. The Disclosure and Barring Service is the combination of the Criminal Records Bureau and the Independent Safeguarding Authority. They help employers make better hiring choices.
According to the DBS Website, DBS Check has different levels; Basic includes the applicant’s unspent conviction or conditional cautions; the Standard includes that of the basic plus reprimands or warnings, and Enhanced has the standard one plus important information from the local police force of the applicant. Individuals can get Basic DBS Check, however, if you need the Standard or Enhanced one you need one, an organization must apply for you.
This article will be discussing on how to get you Basic DBS if you are living overseas. We hope this step by step guide will help you in your application.
Verify your identity
You need to be a verified user to be able to use the DBS Check. This is the first step in applying for a basic DBS check. You need to have a UK address to use this, you can use your home address or parent’s address if you don’t have one.
1. Go to this website and validate your identity.
2. If you have a UK address or a valid us passport or driving license, then choose “use GOV.UK Verify.” Or use a digital identity if you are from another country in Europe.
3. Choose your answer and click continue. Read the next one and click next and “start now.”
4. Find the right company to verify your identity.
5. Answer the questions asked and click continue.
Since you are living outside of the UK, you can try using your old address or your parent’s address. If you don’t have a UK address, you can’t continue.
6. You’ll need a UK passport or UK driving license plus another UK account to continue. Click “I’d like to try to verify using GOV.UK Verify.”
7. Choose the ID you have; a UK driver’s license or a UK Passport. You can choose only one.
8. Answer the next question.
9. Choose a company that would verify your identity. Note that if you don’t have a phone or tablet then only 1 company can verify you.
10. You will proceed to the company’s website of your choice. You will be creating an ID there. Please note that processes per company may differ. After your identity is verified, go back to the site and choose the company you have registered at.
You can now use any government service like DBS Check.
Getting a DBS Check
1. Proceed to the DBS Check. You will be asked if:
- You are living in the UK for the last 5 years
- You have visited countries or live abroad for a month during the last 5 years
- You have lived away from home while at University
You will be asked to enter all your addresses in the UK during such time.
2. You will need to submit the documents asked.
3. Since you can’t go to the post office, let a Responsible Person verify your documents for you.
4. Pay the fee for basic DBS checks which is £23, if you use other services there may be additional charges.
5. Once your application is complete, you will receive an email with your application reference number. Basic DBS Checks usually are done within 14 days.
DBS Online Account
You can check the status of your application and your DBS Certificate.
1. Go to this website and register an online account.
2. Click “create an individual account.”
3. Type your details. Review it and click submit.
4. An activation code is sent to your e-mail. Please check it within 24 hours. Use it to activate your account.
5. Enter your details.
6. Your account is now ready for use. You can now track your application, manage DBS Checks and many more.
With that, you can send a copy of your DBS Checks to your employer or the agency that asked you for a DBS Check.
DBS Checks are very important especially if you are going to work. If you are living abroad you can get yourself a DBS Check by following these instructions. You may do it online through the gov.uk website. I hope this will truly help you!
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!