Hello beautiful people! Most of you must have already known that we’re currently based in Luperon, Dominican Republic. The past few months of living here with Jonathan and our 2 cats had been lovely but the past few days had been extremely special. My sister-in-law and her boyfriend flew all the way from London, United Kingdom to visit us here for a few days! Well, it’s our chance to show them around and explore the country ourselves too! :p
It was such a lovely tour! One of our favorite destinations is Sosua which was complemented by a soothing stay at Garden By The Sea Bed & Breakfast. For this post, I’m gonna share with you some activities you can do here and why you should also stay in this hotel.
WHAT YOU CAN DO IN SOSUA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
Sosua’s history depicts that it is discovered by Jews fleeing from the terror brought by Hitler in the early 1940s. This has been a paradise for them and so it is until now. Here are some things you can do during your stay:
- Relax by the Sosua Beach- Sosua is popular for its nice beaches but our favorite is this one. It has a gorgeous mountain backdrop and it always has stunning and sweet sunsets. This is famous for its fine white sand as well as turquoise blue and crystal clear waters that you can easily see the fishes from where you’re standing. You can also go kayaking and snorkeling. Restaurants are also all over the place! If you have extra time, another popular beach is the Playa Alicia.
- Go diving- One of the best dive sites in the country called the Airport Wall is only 15-minutes away from Sosua Beach. It is home to a wide array of coral reef and the abundance of marine life is just breathtaking (thank goodness for oxygen tanks haha). Other dive sites accessible from Sosua Beach are the Mini Wall (5 minutes), Zingara Wreck (15 minutes), 5 Rocks (5 minutes), Canyon and La Puntilla.
- Go to Cabarete Beach and enjoy some extreme water sports- If you feel like doing something else other than swimming and snorkeling, then head on to Cabarete Beach which is only an 11-minute drive from Sosua. This is where you can enjoy extreme water sports such as Kiteboarding, Surfing, Windsurfing, and Wakeboarding. I was supposed to do Kitesurfing but the wind didn’t cooperate!
- Walk around or party at night at the Sosua Town- The town is charming in the morning with bars and restaurants and it transforms into a party place at night. Be careful though, the town is infamous for prostitution. Yikes!
- Visit the Monkey Jungle and try the zipline- This jungle is a heaven on earth for animal lovers and those wishing to interact with them. This is a place where you can go face to face, hand in hand, and sometimes even nose to nose with squirrel monkeys and capuchin monkeys. This is also home to peacocks, turtles, and a whole lot more. The zipline is a must!
- Do the Canyoneering at the 27 Waterfalls- From Sosua, you can easily book a Canyoneering Activity at the 27 Waterfalls aka Damajagua. You’ll go hiking, cliff jumping, swimming, and even sliding on the waterfalls. If you’re afraid of heights, I still suggest you try and conquer. Anyway, if things get bad, you can always walk around and refuse to jump. That’s better than not trying at all 🙂 We did this before with our friends which cost 930 pesos per person for the entrance fee, tour guide, headgear, life jacket, locker, and a BUFFET lunch! This is a very good deal. We went home with tired bodies and happy memories 🙂
WHERE WE STAYED IN SOSUA
Our sanctuary here in Sosua is our Deluxe Queen Room in Garden By The Sea Bed & Breakfast. This very cozy hotel is owned by a lovely American lady, who just like us, left her career as a Trial Attorney in the US, packed up her whole life to start a new life here in the Dominican Republic. The only difference is she’s staying here for good! It’s the low season so we had the whole hotel to ourselves. We got to fly our drone too! Here are some things that we love about our stay with them:
- It’s pet-friendly- We love our cats but unfortunately, they aren’t welcome in most of the hotels we’re staying at so it’s either we leave them to a friend or one of us gets left behind. This time, we went as a family because this place is pet-friendly. In fact, they even have resident cats and a dog named Linda which we got to play with 🙂
- The homemade breakfast- Who doesn’t like waking up to freshly cooked pancakes, bacon, fresh fruits, and scrambled eggs? Oh, don’t forget the hot coffee on the side.
- It is super cozy- The homey ambiance made us just want to stay here and lounge at the pool all day. Haha! Hammocks are also all over the place and the barbecue area made everything perfect. We loved it!
- The location- Situated between Sosua and Cabarete, you can easily drive between two towns. The center of Sosua is only 3 minutes away by car so it’s perfect– close enough to visit but far enough to have some peace and quiet.
- They have a semi-private beach- Only 2 minutes walk away from the property is a semi-private beach where you can sit back, relax, and get that perfect tan. Swimming is always an option too 🙂
- The rooms- Our Deluxe Queen Room is everything a room should be– clean, comfortable, and cozy. The sliding door allowed plenty of light to get in. The view of the pool is the icing on the cake.
Overall, our trip in Sosua had been soothing, thanks to Garden By The Sea Bed & Breakfast! 🙂
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!